Disclaimer- these thoughts are my own and not necessarily those of any organization I'm involved with.
For you young folks, the title of this post is lyrics from an old song.
Tonight I started thinking about Heaven.
And I'm gonna be honest with you because God already knows how I feel, I don't really understand it.
And forget that eternity is for. Ev. Er. That thought just freaks me out.
But like, say by God's grace I get to go there. What will I DO? Is it really singing praises to God all day? I love God, but I don't connect best with Him through worship music. Won't I get bored? (God forgive me!)
Will I be able to like watch my life over and over again as many times as I want to? Is that selfish? There's so much I don't remember. Can I watch what's going on on earth? Does my desire to do anything outside of worship God while I'm there mean I'm not ready for Heaven?
I need to reread C.S. Lewis's book, The Great Divorce. It's a great book about the afterlife.
All I'm left with, all I'm ever left with at the end of these great, spiraling thoughts is that I have to trust God. I remember one summer, when I was home from college, lying in my bed and really getting worked up by thoughts like these. And the conclusion I came to is that I trust God every day to keep the universe from spiraling out of control-to keep the earth on its axis. So if God made it all, and keeps it all running and made it and said it's "good", then surely I can trust Him with eternity, right? Lord, make me desire Heaven!
God's got it all planned for our good and beyond the best we can imagine. And maybe when I get there, my old sinful self will disappear and my only desire will be for exactly what's there. God's got this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment